Saturday, August 1, 2009

"What About Me?"

Since the 31st was a 16th birthday of this little girl, I had to get this rendering in. Time passes so swiftly. First, I have her captured as a baby in dots and stripes and pattern and was so inspired by that pose that that rendering is my signature piece and you find it in the heading of this blog. This rendering standing landside of the waves, she is about 3 years old. Just at the age to want to be noticed. When her dad was taking her mother's photo, she stood as such w/little tummy sticking way out, and said, "What about me?" (reason for title). Luckily her dad was swift enough to press the shutter once more and capture this moment in time. I fell in love with her polite sassiness and can just feel that love each time I look at this rendering. Needless to say that both these renderings are in "this artist's private collection." I loved the painting process of both poses.
Now, I'll have to find one that inspires a 16 year pose. She is a love, my granddaughter.
TechniqueTip: First, a selection of subject with attitude. Second, to make the texture of the hat, I used salt. The trick here is to sprinkle the salt (table & sea) at the right time which is just as the shininess disappears from the wet color. It's critical to do it at this time. THEN, the second critical part is to be patient and let this totally dry w/o using a hair dryer (this will blow the salt away). Thirdly, do not use good brushes anywhere near the salt. It will destroy them pronto! When dry, brush salt off with fingers or a rubber cement lifter. R...
♥ "A Granddaughter is God's way of touching your heart with laughter, blessing your life with happiness, and filling your world with love."
17 1/8 x 14 1/2" owned by Ruth Bodycott

4 comments:

  1. Ruth, I love this painting of your granddaughter.She definitely has "attitude" and I love it.
    You are so good! I love your blog and especially like your tips in yellow - they are so helpful - especially to beginning artists. I am going to post a link to this blog from mine, if that is okay with you.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, I would be honored to have you link to mine. I will do the same because I love your work as well. Visit it quite frequently from WcW.
    In fact, if you have a followers link, I'll also join that. Would be delighted if you signed up on mine, too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth wrote: Oh Ms. Ruth that is soooo sweet! I love the picture of her at the beach and the one of her as a baby--I never realized before that that was her! Keep up your awesome art work; I enjoy coming on here and seeing it.
    ~Elizabeth~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth...As the grandmother of a granddaughter who is currently three, I so enjoyed seeing this painting; although I enjoy seeing all of your wonderful work. This pose is so typical of girls at this age. Neither of my sons would have ever been bothered not to be in a photo...they usually hid when they saw the camera!

    Great painting, such a nostalgic mood.

    ReplyDelete